We are putting greener living and sustainability at the heart of economic growth.
Our flagship energy project will see the construction of a carbon-cutting, District Heat Network located at CNGS to supply heat and hot water to the developments’ homes and businesses.
Reducing our heating related carbon emissions is an important part of meeting climate change goals and the Heat Network will significantly reduce carbon emissions caused by heating homes and offices. It will generate a source of hot water to replace boilers in the new homes being built.
Key benefits of our District Heat Network include:
- Provides competitive and stable energy prices over the long term
- Supports Colchester Borough Council’s aim to become a greener place to live, work and play
- Enables installation, along with the ultrafast fibre broadband network, prior to construction of buildings
- Attracts investment – the project secured a £3.5 million ‘Heat Networks Investment Project’ grant from the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
- Shows Colchester leading the way – this was one of only nine projects in the UK to gain BEIS funding in 2017
How it works
Our District Heat Network extracts warm water (approximately 13 degrees C ) from eighty metres below the ground using a series of boreholes. The abstracted water is directed through an electrically-powered heat-pump within our Energy Centre. From the Energy Centre the hot water supply is directed through a hot water pipe network homes and businesses. Finally, water is returned to the aquifer via another set of boreholes located over 550 metres from the abstraction holes.
Home and business owners will have a Heat Interface Unit (HIU) within their property – rather than a traditional gas boiler. Hot water and heating is generated via a Plate Heat Exchanger in the HIU as and when required. The heat used is metered and paid for in the same way as gas or electricity.
District heating generates less carbon emissions than standard gas boiler systems and over its lifespan is a much more cost and energy efficient solution.